Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Am I Cured of Diabetes?


When it comes to type 2 diabetes, these three words are everywhere: reversal, remission and cure. There are so many people who claim to have the answer to type 2 diabetes either through a diet plan or supplement. They claim to have a cure or that they can reverse your type 2. The argument that ensues takes offense at the idea that type 2 can be cured or reversed or even put into remission. I think that the evolution around these arguments stems from the irritation we feel when people tell us, “All you have to do is this…and you’re cured.” Sometimes, we get hypersensitive, and I’m as much to blame as anyone else. So let’s take a look at these three words. Here are the definitions taken from a medical dictionary:
Reversal: a change to an opposite condition, direction, or position.
Remission: a temporary or permanent decrease or subsidence of manifestations of a disease. 
Cure: a restoration of health; recovery from disease.
Based on the definitions above, have I reversed my diabetes or put it into remission? Am I cured? Well, I could say that it’s reversed because I have changed the direction of my disease. My blood glucose was going up and now it’s going down: reversal. I could also say that my diabetes is in remission because I have a decrease in the manifestations of the disease. As for cured, I may have restored my health but I have not recovered from the disease. In all three cases, diabetes is still there lurking, ready to return should I change my habits again. What I’ve done, actually, is manage my diabetes through healthy habits that have made my diabetes appear as though it’s not there.
It’s just semantics, people. It’s up to you to search out a food plan that works for you. Ignore the naysayers and do what’s right for you. Don’t be duped into thinking that you will be cured or that your D will go away. Maybe you can reverse it or see your complications go into remission, but it is up to you to stay vigilant and follow your path to better health.
Full story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment